Sunday, September 13, 2009

Yoga Philosophy Accessible

One day I ran into a friend who said, "I'm so sorry that I couldn't come to yoga class, but please tell me the theme that you used for the class. It just helps me to have those little nuggets of inspiration." So, I realized that my students are longing for the philosophical tips that I give at the beginning of class.

Do the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali seem like a thick impenetrable mass to you? In fact, they are wonderfully woven threads that have full pertinence to our daily lives.

As I am driving, or lying in bed at night, or browsing the Sutras, I often think of exactly how they've helped me through my day. I want to share this with my yoga students! Sometimes students are ready to hear this. Sometimes people are voraciously hungry for it. Sometimes they just want to come do some poses and go home, without being overloaded with philosophy.

Thus this blog.

This blog accompanies other threads in my life...spiritual direction, chaplaincy, sermon-writing, and trying to live well on this planet with all my fellow creatures. Please come often and I hope you will find nuggets of nourishment.

And if you happen to live in or near Charlottesville, Virginia, you can find my classes at ACAC or the TJMC UU church. More soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment